Hola señoritas y señores! Tis the season for my SUMMER SALSA OBSESSION! Salsa is an easy ‘dump from the jar with a bag of nacho chips and call it a dip,’ but, summer’s delicious bounty of fresh fruits and veggies makes for the best chipping and dipping! Finish it all of with a refreshing Ruby Red Margarita, and call it a FIESTA!
Here are some of my newest and chunkiest fruitful & sassy salsas! Spice em up or keep em cool!
(MAKES 4 CUPS)
PEEL AND TRIM:
1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
PEEL AND JULIENNE:
1/2 cup jicama, julienne
1/4 cup purple onion, slivered
1/4 cup red pepper, diced
1 T. fresh lime juice
1/2 t. habañero, seeded and minced 1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
2–3 drops Tabasco or Siracha
JUST BEFORE SERVING, MIX IN: diced 1 T. fresh cilantro, chopped 1 T. fresh mint, chopped
TWO TOMATO SALSA
(MAKES 3 CUPS)
1 cup red tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 cup yellow tomatoes, seeded and diced
3/4 cup white onion, diced and rinsed
3 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. light olive oil
2 t. jalapeno, seeded and minced 2 t. fresh garlic, minced
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
ROASTED TOMATO SALSA WITH JALAPENO AND CILANTRO
YIELDMakes 2 1/2 cups
1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 10 medium), preferably plum
2 to 3 fresh jalapeño chiles (1 to 1 1/2 ounces), stemmed
Half of a small white onion (2 ounces), sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 generous teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Heat the broiler. Lay the whole tomatoes and jalapeños out on a broiler pan or baking sheet.
- Set the pan 4 inches below the broiler and broil for about 6 minutes, until darkly roasted — even blackened in spots — on one side (the tomato skins will split and curl
- flip over the tomatoes and chiles and roast the other side for another 6 minutes or so.
- Set aside to cool.
- Reduce heat to 425 degrees.
- Separate the onions into rings combine with the garlic.
- Roast in the oven, stirring carefully every couple of minutes, until the onions are beautifully browned about 15 minutes total. Cool
- Rough chop the tomatoes, onions, garlic & peppers & pour into a bowl adding the juices. If necessary, stir in enough water to give the salsa an easily spoonable consistency. Stir in the cilantro.
- Taste and season with salt and vinegar
HABAÑERO SALSA WITH YELLOW TOMATOES & PAPAYA
- 1 medium yellow tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 habañero peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 small papaya, coarsely chopped
- 2 T. each fresh lime & orange juice
- 1 T. rice wine vinegar
- 2 T. water
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Serve!
Ruby Red Margaritas
Makes four 12-oz. drinks
- Kosher or margarita salt
- 1 can frozen limeade concentrate (12 oz.)
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1⁄2 cup tequila, optional
- 1 cup club soda
- 11⁄3 cups ruby red grapefruit juice
Dip rims of 4 glasses into grapefruit juice, then in salt, if desired; set aside.
Blend limeade, ice cubes, and tequila in a blender until smooth. Divide the mixture evenly among the glasses. Top each with 1⁄4 cup club soda and 1⁄3 cup grapefruit juice; garnish with limes.
Terracotta Mini-bowl Set of 5 – Hand Painted From Spain Price: $18.49 Free Shipping for Prime Members
LIBBEY Glass MARGARITA SET OF 4 Drinking Glasses (6 Inches Tall–14 oz. Size) Price: $64.96 + $5.99 shipping