Well, as they say, “When in Rome…,” but in Naples…….Florida, it’s great fun to do as the Naples’ Floridians do….enjoy dining out on Fifth Avenue South! The epicurean choices are so incredible that dining in doesn’t always cut it. I try to justify it to myself, and Steve, by convincingly insisting that amazing meal ideas can be born from amazing restaurants.
Actually, it’s devastating…..(slightly dramatic, I know) to eat a mediocre meal in a restaurant and know that you can have a much better dinner at home. Dining out is a treat and I’m committed to duplicating and sharing some of my faves from my recent travels to Naples, Florida.
Sea Salt is one of our favorites and the chef nailed it on creativity and taste with his Caesar Salad Sushi Bites.
CAESAR SALAD SUSHI BITES
The first time I made these, I over filled them. Less is more, so that they are able to roll up and sit on the plate for a delicious presentation.
- 8 romaine leaves
- Caesar Dressing (store bought or home made)
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Small jar of red lumpfish caviar
- Wash, dry and lay each romaine leaf flat.
- Spread 1 T on each leaf.
- Sprinkle 2 T Parmesan cheese on each leaf.
- Carefully and tightly roll each romaine leaf up lengthwise.
- Cut off loose ends and and slice evenly down the middle. (Each leaf makes 2 rolls)
- Repeat with remaining leaves.
- Turn each ‘sushi roll’ flat and top with 1/2 t. dressing and a sprinkle of caviar.
- Serve with chopsticks!
CAESAR SALAD DRESSING
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed and minced.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
- 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise.
- 1/2 cup olive oil.
- Lemon juice, for seasoning.
- Minced anchovy fillets, optional.
One of the new kids on the block in downtown Naples is The Bevy; a delightful, open air restaurant featuring a living wall, beautiful bar and a retractable skylight ceiling. The food and drinks here insight the senses with every sip and bite.
Steve was more than delighted with his appetizer of Deviled Oysters which include yellow conrmeal oysters, deviled eggs and candied bacon.
Our friend, Bob, loved his craft cocktail, The Cedar Fire Old Fashioned which features bastille 1789 whiskey, orange bitters, maples syrup, smoked glass and candied bacon.
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp minced shallot or onion
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the eggs in water 10-12 min.
- Peal the eggs, cut the in half lengthwise and remove the yolks.
- Mash yolks with mustard, mayonnaise, onion, Tabasco, salt, pepper. (For finer consistency, place in a food processor.
- 4 Pipe or spoon mixture into egg white halves: Pipe through a piping bag (star tip) or simply use a spoon to put the egg yolk mixture into the egg white halves.
- Serve as is, or top with your favorite toppings: candied bacon, smoked salmon, caviar, jalapeño
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix brown sugar, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Place bacon slices on cooling rack set over a baking sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, turn slices, and bake another 5 minutes.
CORNMEAL FRIED OYSTERS
- Heat deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine cornmeal, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, black pepper and seasoned salt in a large plastic bag.
- Place oysters in bag and shake until well coated.
- Cook oysters 3 or 4 at a time in hot oil.
Recently I read a great article on happiness……stating simply that: if your happiness depends on just one thing, you are setting yourself up for unhappiness. So, for example, if your happiness depends on sunshine and warm weather, and you live in Northeast Ohio, many of your days will be unhappy. In sunny Naples, Florida, even when it’s chilly, the sunshines which is a blessing.
Walking in sunshine and sharing delicious recipes are two of my favorite things, so thank you for swinging by and I hope you enjoy these nuggets of yum! Be sure to check out some of my fun finds in The Sunshine Shop!
Until next time…
THE SUNSHINE SHOP
//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=as_ss_li_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=foliotrends-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=B075CRVF76&asins=B075CRVF76&linkId=b8a4d39977f62a611be9f4121f025bc5&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true“>Women’s Long Sleeve Casual Loose Ruffle Sleeve Off Shoulder Gingham Dress $33.99 + Free Shipping!