Salad…..my favorite comfort food of summer, but anything fresh from the garden and smothered in cheese….now we’re talking! Summer’s bounty of eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes give rise to delicious and healthy twists on most loved recipes….like one of my faves, eggplant Parmesan!
This sheet pan eggplant parm is a super easy and flavorful without all the fuss and fat of the original version. Give it a try…..
SHEET PAN EGGPLANT PARMESAN
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsps olive oil or spray olive oil
- 3 C. marinara sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded or fresh
- julienned fresh basil, optional
- Spread the sliced eggplant in a single layer onto paper towels. Lightly salt the eggplant and let it sit for 15 minutes. Flip the eggplant, salt the other side, and let sit for another 15 minutes. Rince the eggplant with water and pat dry with clean paper towels. (This step is optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, dried basil, dried oregano, and garlic powder in a shallow dish. In a separate dish, lightly beat the eggs with the water.
- Dip the eggplant slices in the egg and then the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breadcumbs onto the eggplant to evenly coat both sides.
- Spray a foil-lined sheet pan with the olive oil.
- Place the breaded eggplant in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, flip the slices, then bake for an additional 10 minutes on the other side. Spoon sauce onto each slice and top with shredded or fresh mozzorella cheese.
- Return to the oven and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Top with fresh basil right before serving.
Thanks for swinging by! I know it’s been awhile, but I hope to share more regularly!
Enjoy this delicious dish!
Cheers to celebrating summer!