News Year’s resolutions for me have always centered around diet, exercise and….for those of you who know me….timeliness. This is the first year that not only did I not make a resolution, I didn’t even think to. Maybe my subconscious mind decided that it wasn’t necessary to keep setting myself up for failure, or that my memory was going, or perhaps both, but I’m still committed to these three self inflicted goals.
So here they are….3 simple quick + mindless tips to a healthier and happier you.
This is a great tip for the anti-exerciser! Choose 1 commercial on television a day and move your feet side side to sideOR
if you have an exercise ball collecting dust in your closet, dust it off, sit it and bounce holding soup cans. (remember to hold the cans close to your body to keep your back in alignment) That’s it!
TIP 2….Make AND take time for YOU.
Take 1 hour a day and do something for yourself. One hour…that’s it! Whether its reading a magazine with your feet up, taking a walk, watching a show on televisions, looking up things on the internet….no matter what it is…take time for you. This time doesn’t need to be regimented every day or even at the same time. That adds to stress. At some point say to yourself…”My time,” and take it.
Personally, my anti stress therapy is an hour walking around Homegoods. I love looking at all of the new dishes, linens and things to decorate my home with. I don’t even need to buy anything (hard to resist) but I just love to look.
This brings us to the all important step…choosing the right foods AND the right way to prepare them.
TIP 3….Making good food choices.
If you live in an area where I do, we are cooped up in the winter and mindless eating…aka snacking, can be a serious disorder. Essentially snacking isn’t such a bad thing, but just how many carrot and celery sticks can one consume???
I have found that combining tip 2 and tip 3 works for me. Aiming at turning easy + delicious foods into healthy, easy + delicious foods has been a fun and yummy challenge.
Scour the internet and pinterest for healthy foods. Hate broccoli? Find a better way to make it, or skip it and look at something else. I’ve even discovered a healthy version of fettucini alfredo, if that’s possible!
Not a big lover of eggplant, but my Steve certainly is, I recently discovered a clever disguise for one of his favorite dishes on Pinterest…eggplant parmesan. This clever version is super easy and delicious. Slicing the eggplant super thin is the trick….Check it out…
SHEET PAN EGGPLANT PARMESAN
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 (25 ounce) jar tomato sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- julienned fresh basil, optional
- Spread the sliced eggplant in a single layer onto paper towels. Generously salt the eggplant and let it sit for 15 minutes. Flip the eggplant, salt the other side, and let sit for another 15 minutes. Rince the eggplant with water and pat dry with clean paper towels. (This process will draw out the excess moisture and bitterness from the eggplant. I have seen some skip this step entirely.)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Combine the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, dried basil, dried oregano, and garlic powder in a shallow dish. In a separate dish, lightly beat the eggs with the water.
- Dip the eggplant slices in the egg and then the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the panko mixture onto the eggplant to evenly coat both sides.
- Drizzle a foil-lined sheet pan with the olive oil and spread it around to cover the whole pan. Place the breaded eggplant in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, flip the slices, then bake for an additional 10 minutes on the other side. Spoon sauce onto each slice and top with shredded cheese. Return to the oven and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Top with fresh basil right before serving.
Thanks for swinging by today!
PLEASE feel free to contact me if you are looking for an easy and lighter way to make a favorite dish.
I hope you enjoyed today’s post. If there is anything to take away from reading this, I hope that you will remember to be good to yourself.
Cheers and Happy New Year,
Here are a few of my finds for the New Year! Happy Shopping!
Exercise Stability Ball Chair with Hand Pump Use For CrossFit, Yoga, Balance & Core Strength Training, Non-Slip & Anti-Burst Extra Thick Fitness Ball(Multiple Sizes) $17.99 + Free Shipping
Sivan Health and Fitness Balance Fit Chair with ball and pump $63.49 + FREE SHIPPING
Simply Fit Board – The Abs Legs Core Workout Balance Board with A Twist, As Seen on TV $29.90 + FREE SHIPPING
Z By Zella High Waisted Blocked Crop Leggings $24.97