Labor Day….summer’s last hurrah? I’m not sure what happened to the ‘dog days of summer,’ but our August has been more of an Eskimo Dog…..chilly with precipitation! Fortunately, the outlook for Labor Day looks good so let the picnics begin!
Last minute company?? No worries with these eazy breezy dishes! Keep it seasonal AND simple…
First, let’s start with an appetizer that doubles as a salad…..
SLICED BOSC PEARS WITH GOAT CHEESE AND PECANS
Simply slice pears in 1/4 inch slices, top with 1 T. goat cheese, add a toasted pecan and serve! Want to fancy it up? Drizzle a little store bought…did I say that??? …..balsamic glaze over the top.
WEDGE SALAD DIP
I found this recipe on Pinterest recently, and I thought…”Genius!’ This dip has all of the incredible flavors of a wedge salad, serves a crowd and is always a hit! Duplicating this as a Greek Salad Dip, or any of your favorite salad combos work well! *As a side note, however, not everyone loves blue cheese, so I like to use the blue cheese on 1/2 and label it!
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 package Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1½ c. chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ c. chopped tomatoes
- ½ c. chopped cooked bacon
- 2-4 oz. crumbled blue cheese (according to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, and Ranch Dip mix and mix until smooth.
- Spread into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate or other similarly sized pan.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, blue cheese, and chives.
- Enjoy with your favorite crackers
NOW FOR THE MAIN COURSE!!
Crowd pleasing and delicious!
GRILLED HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE SANDWICHES WITH ROASTED ONIONS AND PEPPERS
- Pre-heat oven to 400*F.
- Slice assorted peppers, red, yellow, green & orange in 1/2″ slices.
- Slice sweet onions, preferably Vidalia in 1/2″ slices.
- Place onions & peppers in a roasting pan. Drizzle 3 T. over top & sprinkle with salt & pepper. Roast approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are transparent.
- *Careful not to over-roast or they become mushy…..
- Grill assorted Italian sausages. Cut into 2 inch slices & place on top of the onions & peppers. Serve with fresh Italian rolls & enjoy!
For dessert?? Vanilla Ice cream with fresh sliced peaches on top!